Sunday, January 28, 2007

Feeling ill-prepared...

Oh dear, my preparation for this trip has been a bit derailed in the last couple of weeks or so. The combination of a very busy period at work and a bad cold has meant that I've basically been just sleeping or working for about ten days now. Sorting out clothing/equipment/insurance/visas/etc have all had to take a back seat. And training...? What training...?

The spiralling costs have been an additional worry. Yes, the actual price of the trip through Explore was a significant chunk of money in itself, but we all knew about this when we volunteered to sign up. However, at the time, you just don't think about the £38 for your visa, over £100 for vaccinations & malaria tablets, several hundred on clothing to keep you warm at –20C and an outrageous amount if you want to try and arrange some acclimatisation before the trip itself.

While I'm not so poor that this will make me bankrupt, I'm just annoyed with myself that I hadn't thought of all this before. I've got to the stage now where my frame of mind is "Oh what's another fifty quid - it's all so expensive anyway..."

Well, all I can say is that when we get up there, it had all better be worth it! Now where's my Lemsip...

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Morris said...

Est - of course it will all be worth it! You'll come back thinking "wow...a life enhancing experience - worth every single cent"!

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did it a few years ago, went up the Western breach and slept in the summit crater overnioght. Awesome experience. Good luck with it. if you're not drinking at least 5 litres a day of water/tea/hot choc you will suffer.
If you're camping, make sure you have a wee bottle for nighttime that will hold a litre.

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home